Long Beach Comic Con Day #1: Happy Stan Lee Day!
Posted October 3, 2009on:
Day one of Long Beach Comic Con was short and sweet (to say the least). For only technically being open for four hours today, there was a crazy amount of shit that we managed to accomplish.
- Both Los Angeles and Long Beach declaring October 2, 2009 to be Stan Lee Day (and he thought he “was just here to cut a goddamn ribbon”)!
- Having Geoff Johns sign the Firestorm variant for Blackest Night #3 which, apparently, he never saw before!
- Maggie holding her holy grail of comics, the Flash #123!
- Having a ridiculously long conversation with J.J. Kirby about Kilowog and the X-Babies (complete with a sketch of Baby Beast)!
- Scoring a gigantic free sketch of Lieam from Mouse Guard by David Petersen!
- Picking up a copy of Wonder Woman #214 (Flash & Wonder Woman team up!) and getting it signed by artist Drew Johnson (who also agreed to an interview)!
- Not drowning in a sea of poor hygiene and actually being able to walk from here to there (take that, SDCC)!
HIGH FIVES FIVED HIGHLY:
- Geoff Johns
- Mark Waid
- J.J. Kirby
As I said, cut us some slack for not doing that much. It was the short day! But here’s hoping tonight’s Atomic Comics karaoke party (even a hot Wonder Woman couldn’t talk too many nerds into getting on stage with a live band, bless them) doesn’t hold a candle to tomorrow’s Boom! Studios shindig. Oh, tomorrow’s going to be one full fucking day. At least it’s close enough to home that I can actually spend tonight in my own bed (instead of the backseat of a Yaris, which is what I did at SDCC this year).
That’s all for today High Fivers! We’ll be back tomorrow with reports from DC Nation and 50 Questions with Mark Waid! If you’re in the LA/OC area, admission is only $25 for a one day pass tomorrow, come hang out! And at the end of the weekend, we’ll post all the cool stuff in our sketchbooks!